Tuesday, June 8, 2010

On The Eve of My Calculus Final...

Sometimes I sit back in my chair in math class and I try to retrace my knowledge of the subject.
I can remember learning addition and subtraction with groups of M&M's. I remember memorizing multiplication tables on my way to school. I remember my teacher going over long division... and long division going over my head. I remember the embarrassment, which a calculator later relieved. Then came the variables. I guess they chose x because it was far less logical than a. But algebra made sense- just solving for an unknown. Geometry was straightforward, although the proofs became tiring. But still, I did encounter these shapes every day. Then came trigonometry, and this is where I lost my way. I get how trig functions come from triangles, and why they are there, but graphing functions- why do I care? Parabolas are nice, but I've only seen them on graphs. This is where real life no longer meets math. Then there was precalc and now there's calculus. And the kids who got trig are as confused as the rest of us. I look to the board and then look to the sky. Optimizing equations- why, oh why? So to those who live for math, I mean no offense. But honestly, after geometry, this shit makes no sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment