Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A Quick Comment About Those Animal Rubber Band Things

A quick comment about those animal rubber band things:
I've been wearing them on my wrist for three years now.
Yes, three years.
I found a box of them in my room while cleaning and I thought they were kind of cool.
I've worn orange kangaroos, yellow giraffes, blue elephants, green rhinos, and pink hippos.
I wear them two at a time so that the colors can complement each other...
and so that they don't feel lonely...
Sometimes when I'm bored I take them off my wrist and play with them during class.
Sometimes I trace their shapes into my notebook with a pen.
They tend to impress intoxicated people,
but when I show them to little kids they don't get quite as excited.
Recently everyone has started to wear them.
Now they come in weird shapes like hammers and guitars.
I guess they reflect everyone's interests...
which is fine and dandy.
But I don't like it.
You see, I've been wearing these animal rubber band things for three years now.
Before anyone else knew what they were.
At a time when you could only buy them in Chinese stationary stores.
I don't want to stop wearing them because they're special to me,
but I feel that when people see them on my wrist they think that I'm trying to be trendy.
And I'm not.
So whenever anyone asks what kind of rubber band things I have on my wrist,
I show them my blue elephant and my yellow giraffe.
I say, "The yellow one's a giraffe.
I know, it's hard to tell sometimes because it looks fat now
because it got stretched out
because I've been wearing it for about a year.
Before everyone started doing it."
I've been wearing those animal rubber band things for three years, dammit!
I set the trend.

2 comments:

  1. Margo, you are a trendsetter.
    I broke down and bought a cheap bubble gun from a guy on 86th Street yesterday--only it broke right after I put the batteries in (I guess it never really worked.)

    This post made me very happy though--a mini endorphin orgasm. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha you should get them from this guy who has a table full of bubble guns in soho... i just followed the bubbles and found him...
    and thanks, kristian!

    ReplyDelete