Thursday, May 27, 2010

Silly Bandz ban and those rubbery yo-yo things...


Hahaha! Actually, it's kind of sad that they're banning Silly Bandz in schools, but it still bothers me when kids wear a shitload of them on their wrists...

I remember when I was in elementary school, there was this toy that came out and everybody had one or wanted to have one desperately. It was kind of like a rubbery yo-yo except that on the end was a rubbery ball filled with this shiny oily stuff and you could squeeze the ball to make the shiny stuff swirl around (trust me, it was pretty awesome). The ball was attached to a rubber rope so you could swing it around and bounce it up and down in the air.

Here's a picture of them --->

It was soon discovered that the shiny oily stuff had some chemical in it that caused irritations when it came into contact with skin. In other words, some stupid kid had tried really hard to pop the rubber ball (which was very hard to do by just swinging it around) with a pen or a knife or some other sharp object, and the oily stuff got all over their hands and they got a rash from it.

All of a sudden, what was once a harmless toy was now a menace to society. Not only was the oily stuff a health concern, but suddenly the rubber rope held the potential to strangle children when swung. And as if that wasn't enough, it was suddenly discovered that they could distract kids in school.

So of course, schools banned the toys and all of us were devastated. I remember I had one of them and then lost it right after the ban. I asked my dad if I could get another one to replace it, and he refused to buy me one because of the "health hazards" that other parents had told him about.

So I never got another one, and soon it didn't even matter because parents and teachers were confiscating them left and right so no one had them after a while.

And I think that this is very sad. The mistake of one stupid kid caused the happiness of thousands of kids all over the country to be snatched away. Granted, it was bound to happen sooner or later, but it's still sad.

But the ban on Silly Bandz is different. It's even more unfair because they're not actually a health hazard, but I don't really care. Because I've been wearing them for three years now and seeing them crammed, twenty on each wrist, just bothers me.




No comments:

Post a Comment