Sunday, September 12, 2010

Dog's Best Friend

As I was browsing CDs at Mystery Train Records (a small used CD/record store in Amherst, MA) yesterday, a strange thought came to me.
I was with a few friends from school and being new college students, we were still at the stage of missing our homes and families, but more commonly, our pets. We walked into Mystery Train and immediately everyone's attention was drawn to a very enthusiastic looking dog who was sitting on a couch just waiting for anyone to come over and play. Everyone immediately headed over to the dog and started petting it and talking to it, and let me tell you, that dog was ecstatic. It just kept on looking up with its happy eyes, through a mass of hands scratching and petting.
I'm not even a dog person and I ended up sitting down right next to it and scratching its ears.
It was then that a strange thought came to me. I was thinking about how a lot of people rush over to dogs and immediately start to pet them and talk to them because they think they're cute. I was thinking about how little kids constantly stop on the street and ask people to pet their dogs because they think they're cute.
And then I got to thinking about the other side of the person-dog relationship. How when a person enters a room, a lot of dogs will run up to them and try to lick their face or climb up on them. Even if it's a complete stranger, they run over and get overly excited about just seeing a person.
So, my question is: Do dogs think that we're cute?
It all adds up, but is that what it is?
It could be.
Is that why they're so loyal and attached to us? Do they use us in a similar fashion as we use them? Do they think our relative baldness is endearing? Do they think that our noises are adorable?
Would they still be man's best friend if they were more particular?

No comments:

Post a Comment