Wednesday, September 1, 2010

On Top Of The World


Today is my last day at home before I leave for college, and today I realized something miraculous:
I live in the sky.
The sky.
I never really thought about it like that before.
I had just finished folding my last load of wash on my parents' bed so I decided to lay down and watch Friends. My parents' window looks right out over Central Park, twelve stories up, and there was a wonderfully soft white light coming into the room in a mellow, five o'clock way. It was really quite lovely... almost heavenly.
It was the kind of light that reminded me of clouds and flowery spring days. It was the kind of light that reminded me of Mount Olympus; of a floating fortress in the sky... And that's when it hit me.
I do live in the sky.
I live in a house above the trees. I dwell just beneath the clouds. Every night I lie in my bed, surrounded by that purple New York sky. I was watching Friends while sitting hudreds of feet above the streets and stores.
It's amazing that it's taken me eighteen years to come to this particular thought, yet I completely understand why it's taken so long. It's all about relativity. If instead of living amongst other apartment buildings, I lived in the only apartment building in New York amongst two or three story houses, I'd constantly feel like I lived in a tree house. But I don't tower above everyone else. Other people live next to me on the same level, which destroys the cloudy fortress effect... which is why I've never before realized that I essentially live in the sky.
I live above one of the largest cities in the world. The greatest city in the world.
I've lived the majority of my life up in the skies of New York, and that is living on top of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment