Thursday, September 23, 2010

My Issue With Fun Dip (Part 2)

A Nestle representative finally emailed me back today!
(Not quite within 48 hours of my inquiry, I'd just like to note...)
Here's the response to my question:


Dear Ms. Sacerdote,

Thank you for contacting Wonka Lik-m-aid Fun Dip.
Our research has shown that two sticks are enough to enjoy all the powder candy. In addition, we want to keep the price as low as possible for our consumers and adding a third stick would increase the product cost. We will report your comments to our Marketing personnel.
We appreciate your interest and hope that you will visit our website often for the latest information on our products and promotions.

Sincerely,
Patricia A. M. Scott
Consumer Response Representative




Well, I guess that's the reason.
But I've got to say, I could see why their research may have pointed to only two sticks being enough for all of the powder in one sitting because technically speaking, it is.
But most people don't eat three packets of Fun Dip powder in one sitting (then again, maybe it's just an issue for me, considering I live in the country with the highest rate of both diabetes and obesity...).
I'm tempted to ask Ms. Scott to elaborate on the details of the marketing research that went on, but I feel like she may not be the kind of person who would humor me, or even get where I'm coming from.
Sure, she works for Nestle which is a candy company. But we have to consider the fact that she works for the consumer relations division of the company, which means that she may not even partake in the consumption of Fun Dip to begin with.
There may in fact be no one that I would be able to easily contact at Nestle that would be able to empathize with my specific problem.
After all, I am probably part of a relatively small demographic of people between the ages of 15 and 25 who actually purchase Fun Dip for personal consumption. I'm not sure how small that demographic actually is, but logically speaking, the demographic for people age 25 and above who purchase Fun Dip for personal consumption is probably a lot smaller, if not completely non-existent.

I don't think that I will ask her for more details on the study because I don't want to be irritating and really, it doesn't matter that much.
Maybe I will just accept the fact that there are only two sticks for three packets as one of those things that just doesn't make sense. There are plenty of other more serious things that don't make sense in the world, so why not let Fun Dip add on to the nonsensical workings of the world?

But it still bothers me. It bothers me because I know that unlike forces of nature or complicated world histories or medical mysteries, there was no complex process that was involved in the creation of Fun Dip.
One person some odd decades ago had an idea and then had it marketed, and then somewhere along the line that same person (or perhaps someone else) decided to include one less stick than was needed. There was intention in this decision. There was no mistake made; there was no unexplained force at work here.
This decision came from a human mind, and it is completely illogical.

No comments:

Post a Comment